Translate

Monday, November 23, 2009

Where Is Your Heart?

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Luke 12:34

This is a passage that is pretty familiar to most Christians.  And I think most people misunderstand the meaning.  Many people seem to think that it means "whatever you feel with your heart, that's where you will put your resources."  But this is not the correct interpretation.  Take a look at the words again.  The passage means "where you put your resources indicates where your heart is."

I've been a bit convicted of this recently, considering the infrequent updates of this blog.  I update my other blog multiple times per week, but this one is lucky to get updated that many times per month.  Where do I put most of my effort?  That's apparently where my heart is, and this isn't a good thing.

As a veterinarian, I see people spend more money on grooming their dogs than doing proper preventative care.  Preventing disease is much more important to the pet's health, but the people put their priority on the physical appearance of the pet.  I think most people would agree that the pet owner is putting the emphasis on the wrong thing.  This indicates that their "heart" is not on the true care of the pet.

Don't we do this with God?  How many times do we fail to pay tithe or give to our church but then go out and spend $50 on a meal?  How many times do we fail to spend five minutes per day reading the Bible, yet will spend a few hours watching TV?  And I'm as guilty of this as anyone else!  It's easy for us to put things related to God on the back burner in our lives, making other things a priority.  And I'm afraid this indicates that our heart isn't on God.

So let's pray for each other to start putting our treasures where our heart should be...on God!

1 comment:

  1. How true your words are. I live alone and do not have a television so am able to spend vast amounts of time talking to GOD and reading the bible.
    I am truly blessed and want to say that when you are close to a mountain it will look very big but when you are far away it will seem much smaller. Draw close to the mountain and be blessed.

    ReplyDelete