Translate

Monday, September 6, 2010

A Blood Donor

Sorry for a lack of activity on this blog lately, but I haven't abandoned it.  Now it's time to get back to talking about God.

This weekend I did something that I've always wanted to do, but have been to scared of.  I donated blood.  Believe it or not, I have a bit of a problem with needles when I'm on the receiving end.  Even though I do surgery almost every day and handle needles throughout a work day, it bothers me to be poked or have blood collected.  In fact, I've passed out when having blood taken.  So it was a big step for me to do it.

So why now?  Well, I was at Dragon*Con and every year they have been asking for blood donations.  This year it really struck me how important blood donation is, and how we need regular blood supplies.  But it also came to my mind how Jesus donated his blood for us.  Any pain or discomfort I might endure is nothing compared to what He went through for me.  I was only giving a pint, while Jesus gave all of His blood.  And like a donation of blood being able to save lives, Jesus' "donation" has allowed anyone to have their eternal lives saved.  He was the ultimate blood donor.

With Christ's example, I was able to work up the courage to face my fears and donate blood.  Though my donation was nothing compared to His, I am glad to have been able to help out.  And I plan to do so again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment