Translate

Monday, November 29, 2010

Week Of Thanks

Last week was Thanksgiving here in the US.  This is a time when we're supposed to get together with family, eat lots of food, and be thankful for what we have.  But why do we have to wait until the third Thursday in November to give thanks?  God does so much for us that we should be thanking him all of the time.  As my wife has said many times recently, we should be coming to church and to God with our hands up, not hands out.

So for this entire week I'm going to blog about my personal thanks to God. I did that with family last week, but I wanted to wait until after the "official" Thanksgiving holiday to do this publicly.  Maybe this will inspire more people to thank God for all He does.

Today's thanks?  The same thing that I said before the family last Thursday.  I'm thankful for forgiveness.  I'm not a hardened criminal or mass murderer, but I've done some bad things in my life.  Things that have been against God and against other people.  I'm so thankful that no matter what I have done, God forgives.  If it wasn't for His forgiveness, I wouldn't be able to have a place with Him in Heaven, and I wouldn't be who I am today.  Thank you, Lord.

1 comment:

  1. good point to notice your own flaws first.

    there is a story about a guy that was scared of dogs. seems that fear started when he was five. There was a young girl he liked that was five years old too. When he went to say hello, her dog chased him off. When he was 10 years old the same thing. saw a girl his age, went to say hello and she had a big dog chased him off too. Now when he was 40 he realized that he has been chasing women and running from dogs his whole life. It was until a short while ago that he realized the problem was not the dogs but was because he was chasing women that got him into trouble.
    So the moral of the story is: if I see the things I have done wrong in myself it is much easier to forgive when I see the same in others.

    ReplyDelete