Translate

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Easter Every Day

Most Christians were active on the internet this past Sunday because it was Easter.  I saw blog entries, emails, and a whole bunch of comments and posts on Facebook.  But my wife said something that made me think, and made me hold off on posting about Easter until now.  She wondered why people get so excited about Easter and then go back to putting God second the rest of the year.  And she has a great point. 

Now please don't get me wrong.  Christ's resurrection is the keystone of Christianity.  If Jesus has not risen from the dead then all of our other beliefs are false as He wasn't actually the son of God and everything he said can be called into question.  Easter is the celebration of this resurrection, and so should be a big celebration for us as Christians.  But how many people focus on Easter and ignore the other 363 days of the year (I'm not counting Christmas, which is also usually a big focus)?

Think about it for a minute.  We sing, celebrate, and praise God on Easter above all other days.  And well we should!  But if we put Jesus on the back burner the rest of the year, how much does Easter really mean to us?  What significance is His sacrifice if we go around practically ignoring it most of the year?  And how much of a miracle is a risen savior if we're not remembering that every day?

I'm as guilty of sin and forgetting God as any other person.  But I'm hoping that I'll keep the Easter spirit alive in my heart all year long.  Try it yourself.  Live Easter every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment