Translate

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

First Wedding

I've been a licensed minister for a few years now and have done many sermons over that time.  Though I have no formal training, I do feel called to be a minister in the geek community, though my work with Fans For Christ.  And this past weekend I performed my first wedding ceremony.

It was a very geeky wedding.  The groom was dressed as a character from Robotech and the bride from Sailor Moon.  So it was probably not a big surprise that they asked a geek preacher to preside over their wedding.  They were friends of mine, so I couldn't say no.

It was an interesting experience.  I had never really studied what to do at a wedding, though I'm married and have been involved in several weddings.  I got a book from my father-in-law, who is a pastor, and looked at some resources on the Internet to piece together an appropriate ceremony.  The couple wanted something simple and traditional, despite the rather unusual costuming (the best man was dressed as John Belushi's samurai chef).

I felt honored to be part of this, and to have an opportunity to marry a couple.  Oddly enough, it didn't feel strange to me.  I think this is the direction that God is taking me, and so it came across as natural.  I know this was a big step for me, and involved me in something very profound.  This is not an event I take lightly, as it was my responsibility to oversee one of the most important ceremonies that God has provided.

We'll see where this goes.  I may get called on to do more, or this may be a rare occurrence.  Either way, I'll follow God's direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment