Translate

Monday, February 21, 2011

Astromechs For Jesus!

This past weekend my family and I were at ConNooga in Chattanooga, Tennessee.  We were there mainly to represent our group, Fans For Christ.  But of course with us being geeks we had fun looking around and talking to people. 

One of the groups I've talked to for a few years is the R2 Builders Club.  These are people who as a hobby build their own astromechs as seen in the Star Wars movies.  I've been fascinated by them and thought it would be so incredibly cool to have one of my own.  Because one droid can cost a few thousand dollars or more (depending on materials and complexity), my wife has said I couldn't do it.  But this year our FFC table was right next to the R2 Builders, so I got to talk to them even more and get to know them personally as well.  My wife met some of their wives, and she finally gave me the okay to join.

Woo-hoo!  So now I'm going to slowly start the process of working to build my own droid, specifically R2-B1 (briefly seen in The Phantom Menace). 

 This is going to involve work, time, and money, but I'm really looking forward to it. When I'm done, I'll have a functional, mobile R2 unit.

However, I was also thinking "why am I doing this?"  What is the ultimate purpose?  And most of all, how can I use this to glorify God?  Yeah, that seems a bit odd, but I want to use this hobby to witness to people for Jesus or somehow draw attention to our group, Fans For Christ.  One way I can do this is have the droid at our FFC table, which will of course bring people over to us out of curiosity. But I also plan to look for other ways to use R2-B1 as a witnessing tool.  How?  Haven't figured that out yet as this only came to me yesterday, but I don't plan on giving up on it.  If God has allowed me to meet other Christians doing this and has softened my wife's heart (thanks, darlin'!), then I need to give back to Him and find a way to use it for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment