Translate

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Talking To God

Lately I've been having a bit of a crisis of faith.  Yes, it happens to most people.  I do preach and teach, but I'm not immune to human doubts and fears.  I certainly haven't doubted my salvation or God's existence, but with certain stresses and crises in my life I've wondered where He is and what His plan is for me.  I know in my mind that I need to trust Him because His plan is perfect.  But when problems hit hard, I tend to worry and fret about things that I really can't control.  I pray daily but it hasn't seemed to help much.  So what's wrong with me?

I realized one of my problems when I talked to a pastor friend of the family.  He said that I need to talk to God out loud.  Really?  For the last couple of weeks I've turned off the radio in my car so I can spend time praying and speaking with God, but I've done it in my head.  Of course, God can hear my thoughts, but the pastor was saying that I need to verbally speak the words.

But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim:  If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.  Romans 10:8-10

I think this passage applies to more than just salvation.  The last few days I've actually been speaking my prayers and discussion with God instead of thinking about them.  And it seems like it's been helping!  I feel like I'm more in touch with God and finding him more of a personal companion.  It makes sense, as we talk to our friends and family rather than thinking to them.  That audible, verbal communication allows us to be connected to other people.  Speaking out loud to God does the same thing.

My worry hasn't gone away, but it's lessened.  And more importantly, I feel God's presence closer than I did before.  If you are having problems connecting with the Lord, speak to him.  REALLY speak to him!

No comments:

Post a Comment