Translate

Monday, December 14, 2009

Swordsman

Several years ago I joined a new web site and was looking for an avatar name.  At the time I had recently gotten very heavily into the 7th Sea role-playing game; at the same time I have always thought of swashbuckling as very exciting, loving the genre in movies and literature.  So, just because it sounded cool, I took the name "Swordsman".  I became very well known on that site, and when I started getting involved in other sites I kept the name.  Now it's become a pretty well-known handle of mine online.  At the time I just thought it was a cool name.  But in the five years I have been using it, I realize that it has a completely different meaning, and one even more appropriate to me.

The Bible mentions "sword" 406 times.  This isn't really surprising, as it was the main weapon of a soldier throughout the times of the Old and New Testaments.  And usually the word is used purely as a description of weapon of war.  But God uses the word in a more figurative sense as well.

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."
 Matthew 10:34


Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Ephesians 6:17


For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 
Hebrews 4:12


In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.
Revelation 1:16


Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
Revelation 2:16

The context of these passages (in a way even the one in Matthew) is that God's Word is a weapon.  A sword can kill or defend.  It cuts things and divides them.  Similarly, the words and edicts of God can kill His enemies, defend His children, separate those opposed to Him, and cut out sins.  As Christians, we are specifically called on to wield this weapon.  Make no mistake, we are in a spiritual battle.  Satan and his influence is all around us.  Yes, God's armor (see the rest of Ephesians 6) can protect us, but we can't effectively take the fight back to the devil with a breastplate, leggings, and shield.  We need that sword!  By taking the Bible in our hand, and truly understanding and applying its lessons, we can stand against anything Satan can throw at us.

So calling myself "Swordsman" now has a meaning beyond what I originally intended.  It's also appropriate as a ninjate, since the one weapon that pirates and ninjas have in common is a sword.  So fellow Christian ninjates, it's time to take up your Sword, fight the devil, and defend fellow believers!  It's time for all of us to start considering outselves Swordsmen and Swordswomen!

No comments:

Post a Comment