Translate

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Wal-Mart Wins

Over Christmas there was an unusual snowfall in Georgia (where I live).  It was the first White Christmas since 1882. I won't get started on a "global warming" rant here....The snow fell on Saturday, and by Sunday morning many churches in our town had put out notices that they were cancelling service.  My own church was open, but we had only about 30% of our normal attendance.  I know it's the South and schools get closed for flurries (not kidding!), but the roads were clear and not dangerous, even on the side-streets.

As we were sitting in church my wife leaned over to me and said "I'll bet Wal-Mart's parking lot isn't empty."  And you know, she was right.  We did go to Wal-Mart that afternoon and there didn't seem to be any lack of people there.

What does it say when people think it's too icy to attend church but not too bad to go to Wal-Mart?  When did it start being okay to risk bad weather for after-Christmas sales but not for worshiping God?  Our priorities are pretty messed up when Wal-Mart wins out over Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment